Tuesday, August 3, 2010

SummaSongs: vol. 1 and 2

***

It was the summer of 2001. It was the last summer I'd spend with one of my dearest friends as roommates in that little house by the water. Within a year I'd be getting married and she'd be halfway across the globe for a year and a half; but neither of us knew it at the time.

I don't know which one of us thought of it first, but we decided to each make a mix CD from our favorite music from our collective music, um, collections - she could take songs from mine, I could take songs from hers, whatever struck our fancy. Knowing what I know now about how our lives were about to change forever, I can't even begin to tell you how glad I am we decided to make "SummaSongs: vol. 1 and 2".

Good, good times. Singing along with Finley Quaye ("I'm a hero like Robert DeNiro, I know an Ital Rasta man") and "Suavemente Besame" with Elvis Crespo. We had just discovered Stars, a band which would become a long-time favorite of both mine and hers. And then of course there were classics like Bowie and Queen singing "Under Pressure" and Van Morrison's "Wild Night". It's all there - that whole summer on two magical discs.

And that's the way it seems to go, doesn't it? Summertime just seems to beg for a soundtrack; not so much in Winter or Spring, or even Autumn (though it will still always be my favorite season). Music and Summer just seem to go together, and there's always a song or two that reminds you of that one Summer.

This year? Here's mine:



How about you? What's your Song of Summer for 2010?





(*** It's from a different mix CD, but I did indeed love this collage so much I went to all the trouble of scanning it in. Oh, how I pine for that kind of time these days! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment