Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Forming a Habit

It's over halfway through the year and I'm nowhere near meeting the goal I set as my New Year's resolution. Maybe you're in the same boat.

My resolution this year was to become a moring person. Or, at least, get myself up earlier than the rest of my family and do it without grumbling. I decided to make this huge change in my life not long after I learned that being a night-owl or early-bird may actually be genetically ingrained.

It hasn't been easy, but there's no way I'm giving up. I still have beautiful images in my head of those quiet, peaceful moments before the day really begins, maybe even watching the sunrise. I still dream of waking up on my own terms, rather than by an adorable little voice right next to my ear saying louder-than-is-acceptable "Mama, I'm hungry!" With that in mind, and with new resolve, I'm reviewing these steps for achieving just about any goal:

- Imagine your goal becoming a reality. In my mind's eye, I am bright-eyed and bushy-tailed at 6:00 a.m.

- Set specific small goals. I'm renewing my efforts to get to bed at a reasonable hour, and to do it with the help of a regular bedtime routine.

- I'm writing it down. Right here!

- I'm making a deadline. Or reminding myself of my deadline. If needed, I'm breaking the deadline down into smaller bites.

- I'm reminding myself of why I set the goal in the first place. I want that time to myself at the beginning of the day, not at the end when I'm tired.

And finally ... I'm NOT - no way, no how - giving up! They say it takes three weeks to break a habit - I'm hoping it will take less than a year to form this one!


1 comment: