Tuesday, August 10, 2010

One Praiseworthy Thing: Really? Just One?

When I learned that this week's topic was "One Praiseworthy Thing" my first thought was "Just one?! But there are so many!" How was I ever going to narrow it down to just one?

I stewed and I stewed and I stewed, until finally in a fit of manic housecleaning I remembered


I had recently read in Sunset magazine, by writer Anne Lamott. It's so perfect for my life right now, and if you're a busy person (whether by necessity or by choice) I bet something in there will speak to you, too.

Here's my favorite bit ...

"Will they give me one hour of housecleaning in exchange for the poetry reading? Or wash the car just one time a month, for the turtles? No? I understand. But at 80, will they be proud that they spent their lives keeping their houses cleaner than anyone else in the family did, except for mad Aunt Beth, who had the vapors? Or that they kept their car polished to a high sheen that made the neighbors quiver with jealousy? Or worked their fingers to the bone providing a high quality of life, but maybe accidentally forgot to be deeply and truly present for their kids, and now their grandchildren?

"I think it’s going to hurt. What fills us is real, sweet, dopey, funny life."


So go on and read the rest of it! And if you're willing to share, come back and tell the rest of us what you'd be willing to exchange for the thing you really want to be doing with your precious time.


No comments:

Post a Comment