Tuesday, June 8, 2010

We All Scream For Ice Cream


I would love to meet the genius who thought of ice cream. I have so many memories wrapped up in ice cream, it's impossible to sort them out. It was pretty much a staple in our house growing up ... I don't think we were ever without a carton of Tin Roof Sundae in the freezer.

In my town, we are lucky to have a little locally-owned ice cream shop, where they sell ice cream made right here in the northwest with flavors from lavender (my favorite - it tastes just like a summer day) all the way over to Jack Daniels (which I've never even wanted to try, but it's there for someone!) along with all the usual suspects, only better. We love to go as a family after dance recitals, or on one-on-one dates with our kids.

At home, we've been playing around with making our own, and I have to say it's so worth the effort! Here's the book we've been getting recipes from:


And I just have to tell you about this poem by Jack Prelutsky (seriously, go check out his website, it's really fun - also he's going to be performing in Seattle this summer, hooray!), and how Natalie Merchant made it into a song on her newest album, and it's really really good.

Here's "Bleezer's Ice Cream", and I dare you to read this out loud :)

I am Ebenezer Bleezer,
I run BLEEZER'S ICE CREAM STORE,
there are flavors in my freezer
you have never seen before,
twenty-eight divine creations
too delicious to resist,
why not do yourself a favor,
try the flavors on my list:

COCOA MOCHA MACARONI
TAPIOCA SMOKED BALONEY
CHECKERBERRY CHEDDAR CHEW
CHICKEN CHERRY HONEYDEW
TUTTI-FRUTTI STEWED TOMATO
TUNA TACO BAKED POTATO
LOBSTER LITCHI LIMA BEAN
MOZZARELLA MANGOSTEEN
ALMOND HAM MERINGUE SALAMI
YAM ANCHOVY PRUNE PASTRAMI
SASSAFRAS SOUVLAKI HASH
SUKIYAKI SUCCOTASH
BUTTER BRICKLE PEPPER PICKLE
POMEGRANATE PUMPERNICKEL
PEACH PIMENTO PIZZA PLUM
PEANUT PUMPKIN BUBBLEGUM
BROCCOLI BANANA BLUSTER
CHOCOLATE CHOP SUEY CLUSTER
AVOCADO BRUSSELS SPROUT
PERIWINKLE SAUERKRAUT
COTTON CANDY CARROT CUSTARD
CAULIFLOWER COLA MUSTARD
ONION DUMPLING DOUBLE DIP
TURNIP TRUFFLE TRIPLE FLIP
GARLIC GUMBO GRAVY GUAVA
LENTIL LEMON LIVER LAVA
ORANGE OLIVE BAGEL BEET
WATERMELON WAFFLE WHEAT

I am Ebenezer Bleezer,
I run BLEEZER'S ICE CREAM STORE,
taste a flavor from my freezer,
you will surely ask for more.



What's your favorite flavor? Would you try one of Ebenezer Bleezer's?


No comments:

Post a Comment