Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Trigger Foods

  I grew up camping!  My family did it every summer growing up and I don't remember having to learn to love it...I just did!  We would do some hiking or canoeing and we would always play in some river; trying to cross it's freezing strength in our itty bitty bare feet.  We played and we camped hard.  The dirt never bothered us and the smell of our family coming home probably could have evacuated our neighborhood.

My little Payton two years ago on our Father's Day Weekend Camp Out

My mom was the pro.  She knew how to pack us up and get us there.  She knew all of what we would need and didn't seem to bother bringing the things we could do without.  She would make the most amazing tasting food and we would all learn to do the same.  We love dutch oven cooking.  I love dutch oven cooking (all but having to clean those buggers).  Camping reminds everyone of specific food I'm sure.  It always seems to taste better outdoors  over a fire. When I go camping I think of or have to take:

Hot Chocolate
For the morning time when only I am awake with the birds and it's chilly enough to need a warm hug from my cup.

Mom's Famous Dutch Oven Gooey Rolls
 Oil the dutch oven. Sprinkle one box of cook and serve butterscotch pudding (NON instant) evenly on the bottom of your dutch. Arrange 16-20 frozen rolls over the pudding. Melt 3/4 cup sugar with 1/2 cup butter. Pour over rolls. Let rise overnight. In the morning, bake at 350 degrees (about 8 briquettes on bottom and 12 on top) until golden brown and well...gooey!

BBQ Potato Chips
Which I don't even like unless I'm camping.

The Cheap Vanilla and Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
You know exactly what I'm talking about.

Phase 10
Which I know is not a food, but it's a must have memory and goes perfectly with the next few treats.

Fudge Striped Cookies for Smores
No need for graham crackers and chocolate.

Starbursts That Are To Be Saved Only for Roasting
 Trust me...you will love them as long as you don't let the gooey smoldering hot happiness drip between your bare toes.  That'll ruin your night under the stars for sure.

We are going camping this weekend and thinking about all of this makes me excited and hungry. Are you a camper? What are some of the foods that trigger your memory of camping?





 * which reminds me...I need to find a tent.

1 comment:

  1. My family was not a group to go camping, but we had plenty of friends and fires growing up. The best ever was Momma Meikle's (Timmy's Mom) Dutch Oven Peach Cobler. I crave it every summer! Tin Foil dinners of cut up potatoes, hamburger patty, onions, and carrots, are always a slight craving too. Ooh, or roasted twinkies! (don't knock it until you try it!)

    ReplyDelete