Tuesday, March 15, 2011

An Introverted Mama in an Extroverted World


Oh, I am definitely a behind-the-scenes girl. I'd much rather be making props or cue-ing lights than wowing the audiences front-and-center. While I am not shy, I am a classic introvert who needs time alone and prefers the periphery of social situations.

I recently learned that introverts make up only 25-30% of the population. So what's an introverted girl to do in an extroverted world? Especially when her children, like mine, are clearly extroverts? As with all things, I'm finding that honesty is the best policy.

If I'm honest with myself and with my family, I really do need that time I set aside for quiet projects by myself. Nap/quiet time in the mid-afternoon is not just for my children, it's for me too. And if I'm going to be a good mom the rest of the day, it's not a luxury, it's a necessity. In order to be really present for them, I need to be able to say to my children, "Just a minute, Mama's thinking."

And the way I see it, it's good for them too. They will hopefully learn patience, I like to think they'll be able to see the value in just being still, and when these little extroverts are front-and-center in whatever they do in life, they'll be blessed with a mama who's content to just stand back and let them shine.


No comments:

Post a Comment