Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Saying Grace

Just a simple reminder. And here's where you can find the template.



Here are the two best prayers that I know:
"Help me, help me, help me" and "Thank you, thank you, thank you."

- Anne Lamott in Traveling Mercies


Around the time of my high school graduation, I was doing a little soul-searching, trying to figure out what I wanted to become, where I wanted my life to go from there. With the whole world open and my entire life ahead of me, there was only one thing I was certain of: I wanted to cultivate a life of grace. I still do.

Every once in a while, I like to think of just the word: grace. It's such a little word, but it means so many big things. Here are some of my favorites:

elegance and beauty
seemliness and propriety
a disposition to kindness and compassion
the state of one who is under divine influence

Is it any surprise that the words grace and gratitude come from the same Latin word (gratus: thankful, pleasing)? Think of how the two are connected: grace as the result of gratitude. When we are grateful, we see more beauty; we become more attuned to doing what is right and proper; we have a greater disposition to kindness and compassion; our lives are divinely influenced. All in return for a simple, daily "Thank you, thank you, thank you."


No comments:

Post a Comment