Thursday, November 11, 2010

Simplify

Growing up, I was always the pie maker in the house. I LOVED that job. I loved making the pie. We would always use a store bought crust.

There are a few Thanksgiving's I will never forget though, like the one when I was 12 or so. I got to help my dad make the whole dinner. My mom was flying home from visiting either my dying uncle or grandpa. It was a blast. Even though the turkey was cold, slippery, and gross I was still determined to make it my own. We had so much fun.

There was also the time a few years back when we were visiting my mom and dad. The grand kids, parents and grandparents were going to go see a movie, Madagascar 2, and I forced my mom to go. My son was only a few months old, and my mom was not in the best of health, so I told her I would take care of it. I got to do almost everything as well as delegate to my siblings. It was so fun because everyone pitched in and I had a great time with my older brother for an hour or so waiting for the family to come home. There is something about making a big dinner for people you love. OK, so I know this is similar to Rachel's post, but it is so fun to include everyone in making dinner. My nieces and nephews helped roll up the rolls into crescent shapes. Some were pretty deformed, but who cares. We had a blast.

So even if you are using the Libby's pumpkin pie recipe, as well as a store bought pie crust, who cares. It does not always have to be original and labor intensive. If you can cut a few steps here and there, it can be very worth it. So amidst the craziness of thanksgiving, share the responsibilities, go easy on yourself. It is way more fun that way! I am sure you can find something for the smallest to the largest person to do.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment