Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Teaching an old baby new tricks

When my first child was born, I wanted to teach him sign language as an infant, and it went pretty well considering that I ended up being less consistent with it as I should have been. Now with my second baby just turning 18 months old, I've been even less consistent with her and I wondered if it was too late to start. On the way out of the library the other day, I just happened to see this book on the "new and interesting" display shelf.





This is a good one for older babies and toddlers because there are more commands and emotions that they can relate to. And, as they're beginning to form actual words and short sentences, this helps them understand their meaning and can express themselves with a little less frustration. When teaching an infant sign language, there isn't a whole lot beyond "milk", "more", and "sleep". This book is divided into three sections: Mealtime, Playtime, and Bedtime.



So far so good. Little Miss Polka-dot is catching on quickly, and Mr. Jellybean is even getting in on it, even at the ripe old age of 4.



Have you taught sign language to little ones? I'd love to hear your tips.







P.S. Speaking of communicating with little ones, if you or someone you know has a BRAND new baby, I would highly recommend checking out Dunstan Baby Language. Most libraries should have the DVD. I was skeptical at first when I had newborns, but it's amazingly accurate!

1 comment:

  1. Go to signingtime.com - buy anything or everything - kids and parents and anyone can learn sign language in a fun way. We love it!

    ReplyDelete