Thursday, September 23, 2010

Patterns in our Lives

"Good music, art, literature, recreation, and other worthy pastimes can help establish proper patterns in one’s mind and conduct. Happiness is a by-product of righteous living and sharing within the framework of lofty patterns."

Marvin J. Ashton

As I thought about patterns this week, the first thought that came to my mind was the patterns we make in our lives, and who we pattern our lives after. We all have examples and people we look up to. Some of them we know, some of them we do not know, some are patterns we are taught through our religions. As a mother, a wife, a daughter, a granddaughter, and a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, there are a few patterns I hope to follow.

The biggest patterns in my life come from my Parents. for instance, my parents were converts to the church when they were in high school. There families are not "Mormons," and most did not agree with there decision. They were not active for a while, until they got married and moved to Germany. My Dad was stationed there in the Army. While there they met some new friends who helped bring them back into the church. I am actually named after one of those families. The Cali's. So where does this lead to patterns in my life.

My parents had to create there own patterns. They had to follow the examples of others as they tried to live the gospel the best they could. They struggled. They were not perfect. Who is? But through them, I gained an even stronger love of the Gospel and have patterned my life with the church. I have found things I want to change and do better, and I have found things I want to do the same.

Here are some more patterns I have followed.

My dad is a frugal man, he couponed while I was growing up. So because of him I am frugal and coupon.

I am OCD, I swear. I have to be organized, that came from my dad too. He was the one reorganizing and cleaning out the cupboards on Thanksgiving while everyone else was in the kitchen making dinner. Yeah, I have adopted that pattern too. (You should see what his office looks like though, A MESS!) I have my messy spots too, but they drive me bonkers till they are clean.

My sister is really fit and has a workout routine, I am working on making that a pattern in my life too.

There are tons of patterns we follow. We pattern our lives by what we have seen from those around us, what we have been taught, and what we see in ourselves. These patterns will hopefully help us become better people, mothers, daughters, children. We create who we are. Like a sewing pattern, sometimes you have to give a little here, take a little there, but in the end, hopefully we have a beautiful project. We are in charge of ourselves. We have a divine creator who knows and loves us. We are here ultimately pattern our lives to his. We have been given examples and those around us to help us do so. It is up to us to pattern our lives in such a way that the project is beautiful in the end.

Who has helped pattern your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment