Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Gotta Know the Rules to Break Them

Remember way back in the second season of Project Runway when Santino Rice insulted Chloe Dao by calling her a "brilliant pattern maker"? It was, like, the worst thing you could say to an aspiring designer, and it bugged her all the way up until the moment she won.

Me? I wouldn't have minded, I think. Because opposite to Jenni I am definitely a pattern person. I just don't have that "if you can dream it, you can do it" sort of creativity. I need clear and concise directions - which isn't to say that I always follow them, but I need to know exactly what the rules are before I'm comfortable breaking them.

And so! Here are a few of my favorites:

The Kyoko Dress from Mod Kid. I wish they had this in grown-up sizes.
And look - they have a doll version, too! How cute is that?!

The Barcelona Skirt from Amy Butler.
I've made this in a few variations and loved every single one.

The Lazy Days Skirt from Oliver + S.
Which, inspired by a skirt someone made for my daughter when she was 2, I modified to make reversible! I should take photos of that, shouldn't I ... ?

The Buttercup Bag from Made By Rae.
I've made this a few times, too. A cute bag couldn't be simpler to make than this one!

There are also some really great pattern books out there, like Weekend Sewing by Heather Ross and Handmade Home by Amanda Blake Soule.

Whatever your style, pattern or not, aren't you so glad there's such a great big wide world of inspiration out there? Yeah, me too! Happy Sewing!


No comments:

Post a Comment