Friday, April 8, 2011

The Comfort of Their Voices

image found here

For as long as I can remember, my whole family has gathered at my grandma and grandpa's house on the weekend of general conference. Together we watch and listen to the prophet and apostles and general authorities of the church. I look forward to this occasion almost like it's Easter or Christmas or Halloween. We don't get dressed up or have lots of candy or presents, but the anticipation of how wonderful it will feel to hear their voices, the voices of the Lord's servants, and feel their love, is equally as great.

It is those voices, that have been one of the greatest blessings to me. Their voices are so familiar, it is almost as if I was listening to a member of my own family speak. There is a certain sense of comfort that comes from that familiarity. Because I have been listening to them my whole life, and because I can feel the Spirit each time I do, the memories connected to these men and women who speak at conference are rooted deeply within me.

I want my daughters to experience that same joy. It is the joy of obedience. Taking time to recognize God, to follow Christ, and let their words become a part of me--this makes me happy.

So on Saturday my little family and I watched each session of conference here at our home, just the four of us. It was quiet and peaceful and I was so proud of my little girls for their attentiveness. They colored and listened and asked questions. I could only smile as I felt that same sense of family tradition beginning within the walls of our own home. We went to my grandparents' house on Sunday, but Saturday was a day to create a memory for my children--the memory of feeling the Holy Ghost together, in our home, and recognizing the simple and sweet blessing it is to follow and listen to the prophet.



No comments:

Post a Comment