Monday, March 1, 2010

Food for Thought


This morning, waking up with enough time to enjoy the quiet peaceful dawn break, I sat at my kitchen table thinking about and planning for my week ahead. 

I knew that I wanted it to be better then the last.

I wanted to keep the spirit of my uplifting weekend with me for as long as possible.

And that I was going to finally act on some reaccuring promtings I had been having.


There are actually a lot of foods that I would miss if they were to disapear from my home like this one


or my favorite grab and go snack


but nothing I couldn't really live without... unless of course you count my morning ritual of baked steel cut oats and some feasting on my favorite word

Recently I have thought a lot about Rachel's fun idea on rituals instead of routines and have discovered some of my favorite moments and some of my sweetest thoughts have come while doing this particular one:

I wake up early (before my kids need my attention and after I  have sent cute hubby off to work).

Then I turn on some sort of calm music.

I put something yummy in the oven just for me. 


Steel cut oats (not rolled).
Rinse and put in covered (ceramic) baking dish.
Cold water to cover by a scant inch.
Pinch salt.
Add a little vanilla or brown sugar.
Lid on.
400 degrees for 45 minutes, untouched. 
So yummy if dreid cranberries are added afterwards or almonds.

...and while I wait I read something old and something new.


So, here is my favorite way to study the gospel I believe in.
I love the words of the leaders of the church. I love how the scriptures are woven in and how they relate personally to me. So, I pick a talk...usually from general conference or one that has a specific topic or question to be answered and I begin to read. I highlight and I look for the little numbers indicating footnotes and scriptures I can turn to and get excited. Then I like to combine the old scripture wisdom with the new knowledge of our prophets by writing their words, as they pertain to the scriptures, in the margins. When I go back I can see what the promises and blessings are from living that gospel principle and I get to remember why I felt prompted to add that to my Book of Mormon.

2 Nephi 31:20
Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life.

Taking the time to be still and to be quiet is important. Our lives are so busy and usually so noisy that we forget to listen to our hearts. After reading and being filled this morning I have a new desire to seek out those quiet moments and then act on what I feel is right.

When I take the time to start my day out right and be receptive and open to those special personal promptings I feel good, I feel okay with things that don't seem to go my way and I have a better perspective on life and being a mommy. I hope that your mornings are filled with warm tummies and full hearts.

 




3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Jenni. I love my morning ritual, too. But the scripture you chose to share really touched me this evening. It has prompted a thought and feeling in regards to a big question happening in my family's life right now, and it all has to do with "moving forward in steadfastness." A key, this time around, with "moving forward." Thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jenni! I love what you say about studying the old and the new. That's what I do every day with my personal study and it is so wonderful. I need to had steel cute oats to the mix.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenni;
    I see recipes for lemon curd all the time and haven't gotten any yet. How do you use it on a regular basis?

    ReplyDelete