Monday, March 15, 2010

For the LOVE of His Game

 
Some may say it's hard work being married to a cute-nerdy-game-loving-book-reading-works-like crazy-as-long-as-there-is-a-computer-screen-in-front-of-him-genius-know-it-all-did-I-mention-he's-smart-and-good-at-everything kind of guy.  For me I would say tricky but definitely not hard.  Yes... sometimes I feel like I need to put on a huge production with confetti and bubbles and a neon sign around my neck that says, "Please Look At Me" while wearing a clown outfit just to compete for the attention he sometimes gives his favorite screens but for the most part I am getting the best part of our deal. Luckily and very thoughtfully this said husband is extremly supportive of my likes and my sometimes expensive hobbies.  He doesn't ever complain when the sewing machine is buzzing loudly in the background while he watches his favorite show and he will even come in to see how things are going.  When I try to figure out a quilt or plan for a party I use him to talk it all out and he will at least pretend to be listening.  He is great and he knows and appreciates the things that make me happy. Plus he only does what he loves to do when I am out of the house or busy with a project upstairs.  He's a thoughtful gamer. So the above picture is luckily never me. I like that.



I on the other hand, the self-absorbed-needy-bubble-blowing-wife, had not given it much thought until Saturday night when I asked him if we could play video games. The look on his face was enough to make me excited to play his silly game plus that had gotten his attention way better then any sign or costume. So he jumped off the couch, hooked up the xbox, even let me have the prettiest controller, he explained what each button did and then we were off.  I did die a lot and he let me shoot him several times but for the most part we just laughed our guts out as my guy kept ramming his face into the wall and when I finally figured out how to not blow up my own foot with my own granade I had a special moment.  I was terrible but it was so fun.  I can't believe it took me 7 years to even ask to play and to realise how good he was at this specific game.   

Okay!  Here is my challenge! 

Do something he loves every day.  Try it for a week.  You don't have to like it (you might) but I guarantee he will love that you even asked.  You will probably never be more amazing to him as you are in that moment.  Pretty too!  I'm sure he'll love the way that controller looks in your little hands or how cute you look yelling at the TV during his favorite football game.  Plus it'll show him that you want to understand his likes and dislikes.  Girls and guys are totally different.  Understanding each other may never happen but at least we are giving it a better shot by trying. 


So, I guess it's time to buck up and be a man for a little while.  I think today I might try watching Star Wars with him and tomorrow maybe I'll learn how to install software.  This makes me laugh just thinking about it. 

I can't wait to hear about how your week turns out.  I bet it'll be awesome!



6 comments:

  1. Such a good idea! We have game night every Thursday after the girls go to bed. Its always fun! Thanks for the great suggestion about doing something with your husband each day! We are looking forward to seeing you soon and hearing sweet Sadie talk! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha... Jenni, you're so cute. I can just see you sitting there playing! This is so true though. I've come to this realization lately, and I know it means sooo much to Spencer when I want to be a part of or at least show interest in the things he likes, even if I'm not so sure about them. It just makes him so happy! I think it makes all the difference in a marriage! And pretty soon, the husband starts doing extra little things too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! My husband and I have lots of hobbies in common, so it hasn't been as much of an issue. Except going to the movies together; he's always extra thrilled when I agree to that. :) But I do try to remember to every day do at least one extra little thing to show him how much I love and appreciate him, and I think it really makes a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Jenni. That is exactly what I have been looking for. It especially helped that our husbands are birds of a feather. I am off, wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those Warner boys sure do love there video games.
    I yous to play with Brian when we were dating. I think it's a good idea to play with him again after Emily has gone to bed one night.

    ReplyDelete