Monday, March 29, 2010

Quilt-Along Week One: I Got Carried Away


How are your nine-patches coming along? As you can see, I got a little carried away. But these little squares are so darn easy! Plus, every little 2.5" square I stitch is another 2.5" of fabric that's not just sitting around in my stash, and I can't even tell you how happy that makes me!

The photo above is a layout of what the main part of the quilt (without borders and binding) will look like, with white squares in between the nine-patches. If you stop next week at 13 nine-patches, you'll have enough for a nice, respectable baby quilt.

You might be able to tell that I'm not too worried about matching whites here - if it's white-ish and cotton and I can cut it to the right size, I'm using it, from muslin all the way down to old thrifted sheets. I love how completely scrappy it is; to me, it feels worn-in and loved already.

Last week I mentioned that I like to make these blocks assembly-line style ... here's another glimpse of what I mean:



And finally, I just can't resist showing you a piece of one of my all-time favorite fabrics ever, this adorable little gnome (from Heather Ross's "Lightning Bugs" line)


Isn't he just the cutest?

How about you, are you using some of your old favorites for this project? If you take a photo and/or blog about it, do send a link along, I'd love to see what you're up to!


2 comments:

  1. Rachel I love the gnome he is adorbale. I will be posting my squares on my blog today I finished 8 last week I had to stop myself or I would have neglected everything else to sew these cute little squares!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOPS, I thought this quilt along was you guiding us with each square. I didn't know each block was the same. So are we making Crazymomquilt's nine patch? I love that one. If so I will get to work on it today.. . oops.. LOL

    ReplyDelete