Tuesday, March 23, 2010

It's Hip to Be Square: A Praiseworthy Quilt-Along

Fabric scraps. They're becoming a way of life for me, in my quest to buy only the minimum yardage required to complete a project. To simplify and spend less. To use what I have before I acquire more.


It was almost exactly a year ago when I saw this quilt in a book at my in-laws' house and decided that was the quilt I wanted to make for each of my children with clothing they have outgrown. Someday. For now, though, it seems like an excellent way to use up all these little bitty scraps I have in my stash, but can't bear to throw away because that fabric was so beautiful.



Last summer, I did this quilt in a Crazy Mom Quilts quilt-along, and it was so much fun. And a challenge to keep up with the one-a-day pacing, but it kept me going when I didn't think I wanted to keep it up. I did end up quitting earlier than she did, but I love the results; seriously, I think this has become one of my favorite quilts. So many fabrics, so many other things I've made with them, so very many memories. We use it all the time.

So what do you say? Want to quilt with me? How about a Praiseworthy quilt-along to get us going, working together, and busting those scraps? For now I'm just cutting 2 1/2" squares. A lot of them. The official start-day of the quilt-along will be tomorrow, and we'll do one nine-patch square per day (or seven per week, or however you want to break it down). We'll stop when we have enough for a decent sized quilt.

Let me know if you're on board! And if you have questions, of course. I'll keep updating as I go, and then see you again on the flip side!



8 comments:

  1. Oh wow! I *just* finished binding the quilt that you helped me make last summer! Just in time for this crazy adventure! I'm in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in! I can always start another right! This is great Rachel. So glad you are doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never made a quilt. I wish I knew how/where to start because I'd love to do this! When you say 2 1/4'' squares and then nine-patch square, is that nine of those two inch ones? I probably messed it all up! My e-mail is grbuie@gmail.com if you have time to write me back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a cute quilt. I am going to try to keep up and join the fun. Thanks for the motivation to get a quilt started and finished. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really dithered over joining in... one more thing, when sometimes it seems like all I can do in a day is glance longingly into my sewing room... but what the heck! I'm in too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got to find a way to be in....that quilt you made was so cute! Oh, I am Jess's new best friend, by the way;) This blog is just too awesome. Consider me one of your official blog stalkers....-Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made crazy mom's second quilt along, the star quilt along, I am still working on it. BUT I also love the idea of doing a quilt along with you. So... Guess I need to work double time :),but honestly the star one, I got all 25 blocks done in 3 days! So I am sure I can do your block a day while finishing my star quilt for my daughter's bed :) I hope !!

    ReplyDelete