Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Fresh & Clean


photo source

I've probably already exhausted the topic of house cleaning here and here and here, so I won't talk about that during this week of "clean." So, switching gears a little, what a fitting topic for this time of year, when springtime brings out the newness and freshness that makes me want to open all my windows and bring it inside! That's what I love about living where I do. The rain is nature's shower that leaves everything fresh and clean.

So, now that Memorial Day weekend is approaching and summer is on its way, I've put away the hot chocolate, and I'm stocking up on things for warm-weather drinks. I love mixing up a delicious, refreshing, CLEAN-tasting drink to pair with a tasty salad or with whatever's on the grill. I've always been a fan of citrus, and now I'm particularly all about limes. Here's a quick, zippy refresher I like to make:

Fizzy Lime Refresher

5-6 limes, juiced
1 TB grated lime zest
1 handful mint leaves, roughly chopped
1/4 cup sugar (I experimented with turbinado sugar for this and it was yummy)
1-liter bottle sparkling water, like Pellegrino or similar
mint leaves and/or lime slices for garnish

Combine lime juice, zest, mint leaves and sugar. Refrigerate 30 minutes to dissolve sugar and meld flavors. If desired, strain through a fine sieve to remove mint leaves and zest. Just before serving, add sparkling water. Serve with ice and garnish with mint leaves and/or lime slice.

*Note: I like this pretty tart, so if you want it sweeter, either add more sugar, or use 7-Up or Sprite instead of sparkling water.

3 comments:

  1. Yum! I am a fan of all things citrus. I'll definitely be making this sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to try this...maybe at the next baby shower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmm--Jen! You should be a contributor to Taste of HOme magazine! They use the word "zippy" often, but in this case, it really does seem like it applies. I have some limes I need to use.... :)

    ReplyDelete