Friday, May 6, 2011

This 'n That for Such a Time as This

image found here


I love the topic this week--This 'n' That--because I feel like that is just what my life is; just a little bit of this here, now, and then some of that for a little while, then something else before I get on to that other thing, and in between I'll make some more of that one thing....and finally it's bed time. :) Know what I mean?

Someday I hope I'll be really good at something...one thing that I am just really, really good at, you know?  Right now I have too many loves and aspirations to pick just one. So I'm just kind of good at a few things. I like to cook and bake (yes, there is a difference), and I like to sew. I like music and art and reading and writing. I'm interested in gardening, home decorating, and parties--oh the parties I'd love to plan! I still love photography, and dream of the day I'll have time for volleyball. I love exercising, and hiking and traveling. There are so many good things to fill my time, how can I ever spend enough time doing just one thing to get really, truly good at it? I guess that is just one downside of loving life so much! :)

 Image found here

So, here is some of this and a little bit of that from my life lately... happy to share it with you! Much of it was shared with me by someone wonderful in my life...I sure am blessed to be surrounded by so many fabulous people!

From my sister I found out about Kina Grannis--whose album I am loving!

From my uncle I discovered a few fun things that I am hoping to try sometime...when the budget permits:
Gift Skins
Chocri--Custom Chocolates

From a fun sewing blog I follow, I discovered yes, another blog for lovers of fabric...and yet another aspiration of which I'd love to indulge myself in the discovery...fabric design!

From my mom I found the encouragement to purchase my first piece of this beautiful pottery.  There are some beautiful new patterns and colors being introduced that I really like--I couldn't find the exact one that I purchased online to show you, but that is okay, I am a little embarrassed about how much I spent on just one dish, so we'll just keep that part a secret. But I did get it at Costco, so the price was less than listed on the website I found... that's good right?

From my friend Mrs. Rowdy I have been inspired for Mother's Day. I love that there are so many mommies out there, writing and sharing and learning together. You know, out of all the things that are filling my time, if there is one thing I could say would be the most important to be good at, one thing that will undoubtedly be given more time than the rest of those other good things, it's being a good mom. Yeah, that is probably the thing I want the most.

From an inspired artist I found while searching for images for this blog post: Sascalia--such wonderful art work. I have emailed her to find out if I can get a few prints of some of my favorites...I'll let you know what I find out. :)

From a favorite blog by C. Jane [the C stands for Courtney--which makes me feel an innocently exclusive connection to her :)] I found this amazing art by J. Kirk Richards. Watch the making of the first one, and enjoy the images of all the rest!

Thanks to a few friends who made it possible for me to attend Time Out For Women, I have been inspired by an amazing woman named Miriama Kallon, survivor of war-torn Sierra Leone. And I am loving the pertinent idea of this scripture that she highlighted in her message:

Esther 4:14
For if thou altogether holdest thy peace at this time, then shall there enlargement and deliverance arise to the Jews from another place; but thou and thy father’s house shall be destroyed: and who knoweth whether thou art come to the kingdom for such a time as this?

The idea that each of us was prepared and sent to this world for "such a time as this" has really taken root in me. Now, as I go about doing my "this 'n that" each day, I think, "This is my time, I am here for this, right now. God has given purpose to my life."

And because I am learning each day how important God's words are for me, really for ME, I am LOVING the new feature on LDS.org for My Study Notebook. Check it out!

Well, that was more than I planned to write about, but those are my thoughts for now. A little of this and a little of that--hope you enjoy it all! :)

image found here
Have a happy Friday. I hope it is sunny where you are. And if not, I hope you can find some sunshine and warmth in a friend or a from a blog or in something that makes you smile. I know I've been finding those much needed rays of light all around me, even when the sky is grey.

Sending my love...

1 comment:

  1. For polish pottery, just go to Germany! :) That's where Robert and I found ours, for waaay less than you'll spend on it here - well, except for air fare. But hey, then you're in Germany so that's part of the good deal, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete