Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Relax

Since having kids, I've really had to learn how to relax when it comes to my house getting dirty. I think I'll always be the type to admire fresh vacuum lines in the carpet as much as I cringe at stepping on something crumbly or sticky on the kitchen floor. I don't sleep well on the nights when my sub-conscious reminds me that there are dirty dishes in the sink.

But, as they say, life happens. My kids teach me that it's more fun, and more necessary, to put a train track together than to wipe up the counters. It's more urgent to read a stack of library books together than to get out the broom. And it's more important to watch an episode of Curious George together than to fill up the dishwasher.

Do you remember moments you wish you could go back and change? A few years ago around Halloween, I had some moms and their kids over to our house to play, carve pumpkins and have treats. After the pumpkins were done and most of the carnage was cleaned up, somehow it bothered me that the table was still sticky while everyone was enjoying their delicious pumpkin dessert and hot chocolate. I couldn't leave well enough alone, so what did I do? I got out my spray bottle of cleaner and proceeded to wipe around and, embarassingly enough, under everyone's plate and cup until the stickiness was gone. Why that moment is engrained in my memory, I'm not sure. But I think of it often to remind me to relax and enjoy...there will always be time to clean up, but time with family and friends is precious and fleeting.

I'm a slow learner, but I'm getting there. I'm learning it's OK to enjoy the fun of life, even if it gets a little dirty sometimes.


1 comment:

  1. I totally agree. This is my mantra...Though I think my problem is the opposite (not cleaning enough, playing too much). I continue to try and get my "clean freak" husband on board. :-)

    ReplyDelete