Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Hair Cutting for Boys 101

With Summer quickly approaching (yay!), that means keeping my boy's head air-conditioned and looking good. I've improved over the last few cuts, so I thought I'd share my method for trimming those cute locks, so you can try it too! Don't be afraid if you've never done it before. As my husband told me after my first time, "The difference between a bad hair cut and a good hair cut is two weeks." I know, he's so smart.

1. Trim sides and back. Use a #2 extention on the clippers and cut from the bottom of his head to the top. Always cut in the opposite direction than the hair grows. And, no my little guy isn't protecting his identity...he just hates hair in his face.


2. Trim top and front. Switch to a #3 extension on the clippers, just so it's not too too short. Buzz off what's left on top and the front.


My little guy has a swirly cow lick on the back of his head, so I just move the clippers all around it, always making sure to cut against the hair growth.



3. Clean up the sides. I use scissors to trim around his ears like so. Look how still he's sitting - such a good boy.


4. Clean up the back. Use the bare clippers without an extension, and turn them around so the blades are perpendicular to his neck. Gently scrape downward in small motions along the bottom to make a straight line trim.

You're done! Everyone's happy and Mr. Cutie gets a bonus treat. Try it for yourself and let me know how it goes.

3 comments:

  1. I love Seth! He is such a doll . . . and so still in the chair for you! Good job on the hair cutting. I used to cut the boys' hair until one disaster with Cameron, adn I decided Great Clips was teh way to go! ;) Love you, Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, thank you, thank you for this tutorial!!! I've been wanting to try this since you posted and I finally got around to it tonight! My nearly two-year old son usually cries at the barber shop, (in fact, the last time I took him we walked in hand-in-hand and took one look around, dropped his hands to the side and said, "No!") so I thought maybe I'd have better luck at home. He cried when he first realized what I was doing, then I stopped, set him on my lap and put the computer right in front of us with your tutorial pulled up so that I could see what I was supposed to be doing and he could see a little boy getting his hair cut, too. Anyway, it worked! Thanks again! Jessica (Rachel's sister)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are so many different models and types of ear hair trimmers in the market today that choosing the right one can be slightly difficult. Remember to always purchase an ear hair trimmer that is manufactured by a trusted brand so that the best technology is used. best trimmer for men in india

    ReplyDelete