Friday, April 23, 2010

Smile for the Clouds

Yesterday started out cloudy. That's typical, but still disappointing.
And then the sun came out...and stayed! It was beautiful, and quite welcomed.

I've been thinking lately about how important those cloudy days are. They really do make me appreciate the sunshine when it is here. Opposition in all things, as we say, is so necessary.

That's something I've been thinking about a lot. But I seem to have lost all ability to express my thoughts lately, in writing at least. So maybe I can illustrate with one experience--have you ever ridden in the window seat of an airplane during take-off? You leave the runway, ascending over the houses and trees, then up over the mountain peaks and into the clouds. For a while you're in the fog of white where nothing is visible and you are searching for something to focus on. Maybe it doesn't last too long, maybe you fear you'll never get out of that cloud; but then the fog breaks and you behold a beautiful vision. The top of the clouds are a majestic sight, reflecting the sunlight back at you across a perfectly blue span of endless sky. You breath deeply, slowly, and are filled with a sense of peace and appreciation.
You made it through the clouds.
You can see clearly.
After a few times of nervous take-offs, the knowledge of what is to come can override any initial fears and make the dark under-belly of the approaching clouds seem much less daunting. That's how I'm learning to see my own cloudy days. When I feel like there is a jet engine propelling me at a dark cloud, I know I can break through and the other side will be beautiful.

While pondering on this, my daughter found an old drawing that I had done years ago and made a significant improvement to it. She added something small and simple that is a perfect illustration of where my thoughts had lead me.



A smile. No, two smiles.

It's the smile on the cloud made me stop, think, and then smile to myself.

Yes, you can have clouds and sunshine at the same time--and smile at them both! And maybe next time I'll write about rainbows... 

 

1 comment:

  1. This post was so important for me to read. It reminded me of something I hold very sacred and special and I can't wait to see you again so I can share it with you. Thank you for the reminder...the one I already knew but needed to hear again. You amaze me miss Cortney!

    ReplyDelete