Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Quilting For Peace



I think one of the main reasons that I love quilting is that I am making something with my own hands which will keep the people I love warm. It's tangible. It's heartfelt. And it's impossible, in my experience, to make a quilt for someone and not think about that person with almost every stitch. Likewise, it's impossible to be under a handmade quilt without thinking about the hours and the love that went into its creation. A quilt is a blessing for both the quilter and the person it is given to.

At the moment, it's cold outside. Really, really cold. And there are people out there. In the cold. I often think about them in the wintertime, and wonder who in their lives would warm them if they could? And then I think about quilts. Because I am a quilter, and I want to help.

Over at Sew, Mama, Sew, inspired by Katherine Bell's new book Quilting for Peace: Make the World a Better Place One Stitch at a Time, they're building a team of quilters to do just that - help. Go on over and check it out, and maybe even take a minute to think about joining the effort!


No comments:

Post a Comment