Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Four-On-The-Floor Tuesdays





... your floors!

Tuesday is my floor cleaning day. Oh, I do love a clean floor, don't you? Every place I've lived in since I first got married has had hardwood floors ... and there's definitely a reason - I love them! I remember being a bit nervous about them at first, due to a notion of unknown origin that they're hard to take care of. Living, as I do now, in a house with both hardwood and carpets, I gotta say, in terms of ease of care my vote definitely goes with the wood.

For a long time, to keep them looking lovely, I used a commercial cleaner. And then I read in a magazine that so-and-so's housekeeper kept her wood floors gleaming by using a simple solution of warm water and vinegar. "Hey!" I thought, "That's pretty much what I use on my windows!" (I add a little dash of rubbing alcohol to the mix, to help it dry faster.) So I've been using my homemade window cleaner on the hardwoods and I haven't looked back. I love that it's safe for our home environment (as well as the global one), it does a great job, and it's gentle on the floor's finish. Saving a few extra pennies on cleaning supplies doesn't hurt either, of course!

Now if only I could find a solution for the not-so-white-anymore carpet in the rest of the house. (Seriously, if you have suggestions, I'd love to hear them!)

1 comment:

  1. well, I am still love the METHOD wood cleaner that I always smelled in your home. Makes me think of you every time I dust and recollect being on my knees on your floor;)

    ReplyDelete