Friday, February 18, 2011

The Real Reason I Love to Cook...

The real reason I love to cook...



...because cooking is part of the creative process, a process that has become such a vital part of who I am. Whether it is writing, sewing, or cooking, I find such joy in creating.

I will never forget the day I heard President Dieter F. Uchtdorf say:


“Creation brings deep satisfaction and fulfillment. We develop ourselves and others when we take unorganized matter into our hands and mold it into something of beauty,”
That statement was planted in me as a tiny seed of inspirational truth. Since then it has sprouted and grown into a life-tested stronghold of personal testimony. 
It's true! There is something very satisfying about starting out with simple and wholesome ingredients, combining them together, and creating something that smells good, looks good, tastes good, and fills my body with goodness! And it gets even better when I can share that goodness with the people I love. Then I am not only creating a meal, but I am creating a relationship through time and service, thought and care.
It's not always easy, and at 4:00 pm when I don't know what to make for dinner, I don't always love it! But in one small way, cooking brings me closer to my Heavenly Father...


"...He is a God of creation and compassion. Creating and being compassionate are two objectives that contribute to our Heavenly Father’s perfect happiness. Creating and being compassionate are two activities that we as His spirit children can and should emulate." (agian, from President Uchtdorf)
Right now, in this season of my life, it's cooking. At times it is sewing, occasionally it is writing or taking a beautiful photograph. But regardless of the form it takes, the creative process elevates me--it enables me, it teaches me, it fills me with light and knowledge, and it allows me to see my full potential. 
I love to cook--cooking is creating!
What do you love to create?



2 comments:

  1. What a lovely quote! When I have the time and fresh ideas (and willing eaters!) cooking is wonderful. I've just joined a local CSA and am excited to see what fruits and vegetables I'll have to work with -- new opportunities for creativity.

    Writing will always be my deepest joy. I think the desire to create is what it means to be made in God's image.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're amazing Cortney! I've begun a new journey trying to eat healthier and cut down on my kids junk food addiction (it's seriously ridiculous!) and I would love some of your favorite healthy recipes!!!! Do you have some favorite cookbooks, etc you might have a minute to pass the names along? Also, how do you survive without Jace when he's traveling? These have been some of the hardest weeks of my life without Dave! I admire you for keeping such a positive outlook and attitude. Wish we lived closer so a little of 'you' could run off on 'me'! Loves!

    ReplyDelete